Last night saw over 600 guests from the world of gaming, entertainment and sport attend the inaugural eSports Industry Awards held at The Brewery, London to celebrate the outstanding achievements and contributions made in eSports over the past twelve months.
The ceremony received fantastic support from the eSports and gaming industries with team principles including Hector Raul Rodriguez (Owner of Optic Gaming), Mike ‘Hastro’ Rufail (Owner & MD, Team EnVyUs) and Brittanny Lattanzio (Team Manager at Team Liquid) rubbing shoulders with Duncan Ironmonger (CEO of Scuf Gaming), Steve Ford (VP Sales for Twitch), Andy Payne OBE (Chair of British eSports Association), Neville Upton (CEO of Gfinity) and Michiel Bakker (CEO of GinxTV).
Saracens and England player Maro Itoje, boxer David Haye, stars from DaveTV’s ‘Go 8-Bit’ and ‘The Inbetweeners’ James Buckley were just some of the celebrities who joined YouTube sensations KSI, Spencer FC, Clare Siobahn and Ali-A at The Brewery to recognise the accomplishments of both nominees and winners.
The eSports Industry Awards were hosted by BBC Radio 1’s Julia Hardy and Channel Five’s Jason Bradbury. The proceedings, broadcast live on Twitch, were watched by eSports fans from around the globe.
The winners of the inaugural awards were:
- UK eSports Player of the Year – Callum “Swanny” Swan
- Best eSports Coverage Website – The Score eSports
- Best Hardware Provider – Scuf Gaming
- Best Streaming Platform – Twitch
- eSports Commercial Partner of the Year in association with Gillette – Monster
- eSports Broadcaster of the Year – Auguste “Semmler” Massonnat
- eSports Publisher of the Year – Valve Corporation
- eSports Game of the Year – CS:GO
- Domino’s Streamer of the Year – Michael “Imaqtpie” Santana
- eSports Team of the Year in association with Xbox and Windows 10 – Team EnVyUs
- eSports Live Event of the Year – The International 6
- Console Player of the Year – Seth “Scump” Abner
- PC Player of the Year in association with Xbox and Windows 10 –Marcelo “Coldzera” David
- eSports Rookie of the Year in association with Twitch – Amer “Miracle-” al-Barqawi
- eSports Personality of the Year in association with NOW TV – Gabriel “Fallen” Toledo
- eSports Journalist of the Year in association with Omen by HP – Richard Lewis
- eSports Photographer of the Year in association with Snugg – Robert Paul
- New eSports Game of the Year – Overwatch
Winners in 15 of the categories were chosen by an expert panel made up of respected personalities from the world of eSports; while eSports Journalist, eSports Game and eSports Photographer were selected by the public in an online vote.
David Turner, Retail Marketing Controller at headline partner NOW TV, commented: “Last night was more than just a recognition of those who have made major contributions to the world of eSports; it demonstrated the passion and dedication that all those involved in the sector have and why eSports will continue its meteoric growth and appeal.”
“Recognising the achievements of eSport professionals has become an ever growing part of what is now considered a main stream industry, with over 250 million players online every month, and hundreds of professionals spread across dozens of games,” stated Tom Mercey from the eSports Industry Awards.
“The awards were established to ensure a single touch point to celebrate all achievements. The room itself reflected this, with professional gamers flying in from as far as North America to ensure they were present for these prestigious awards.”
Founded in 2015, the eSports Industry Awards had an 18-month journey to its inaugural event. The eSports Industry Awards is dedicated to showcasing top class performance and innovation from, amongst others, the players, teams, media, hardware providers, games, events, and personalities within the scene. Giving credibility to this process was fundamental for all involved and the integrity of every step was closely monitored by our eSports Industry Awards committee. We work closely with our headline, category and event partners to bring the very best annual event which puts those at the heart of the industry in the limelight. Bring on 2017… GG